Sunday, July 27, 2008

6/24/08 Tuesday

We spent all of today "in class" at Dennis's flat. Ok...so I'm a klutz (although I don't believe I am). As I crossed the bridge, I tripped on the uneven walkway. The front of my right shoe caught the lip and I went flying foward. I landed hard on my left patella (knee) and chest. When I hit the ground, my only thought was are my glasses ok? They came down my nose somewhat, but they weren't damaged. 2 men helped me up and checked to see if I was ok. I had a few scrapes on both elbows, I didn't draw any blood, my chest was pulsating a little, and my knee was stinging and pulsating a lot. I could feel that my patella was feeling spongy when I gingerly pressed on it. And there was a purple bruise forming about the size of a fifty cent piece. I told the men I was fine and we went our separate ways. As I hobbled and limped my way to Dennis's flat, I was thinking "well Jill, misery loves company, so I've joined you-we can be misrable together [she earlier injured herself during the trip]). Matt, Diane, and another classmate were following me and Matt caught up to me and asked if I was ok. I told him my chest hurt and my knee was stinging and pulsating, but that I was really ok. I also mentioned that I was more embarassed than anything. He walked the rest of the way to the flat with me. I asked Jill if she had any ice. I told her about my fall and how misery loved company, and she gave me a frozen loaf of bread (it's all she had). I iced my knee for half an hour and that made the purple bruise go away.

Oscar came over with Mari to the flat to do his presentation about a 12 year old's perspective of growing up English. He was very well composed and did an excellent job. He even gave us a quiz; we all passed and each got a Dr Who sticker each. He talked about school, his interests, and hobbies. He's really into saving the enviroment and he's put together some fundraisers at his school to do just that; he's also intrigued by politics and acting. I see him eventually doing big things wether it be in protecting the enviroment, participating in politics (I see him as the Prime Minister), or a combination of both (a lawyer practicing enviromental law perhaps).

During his presentation I pointed out that JK Rowling's protrayal of Hogwarts, the houses, students, and tests accurately reflected everyday English (private) schools. Both Oscar and Mari agreed. I recorded 10 minutes of Oscar's presentation (till my battery died), and I passed his quiz and earned my sticker. I don't think I've ever been so proud about the results of a quiz more than Oscar's quiz. Oscar is involved in the community, passionate about improving and protecting the enviroment, into politics, and he seemed to enjoy using my camera. I gave him my email address; I really hope he writes to me. I'd like to have an email (pen) pal.

After Oscar and Mari left (he was late for school), the rest of the class was to catch up on things we fell behind on. Mostly chapter discussions; each one of us picked a chapter, had to read it, and lead the class in a discussion about the ideas in it and tie it into our practical experiences in society (it was assumed that we had already read the book in its entirety).

Tomorrow it's off to Oxford!

No comments: